What is the aim of CoastXplore?
CoastXplore is an app you can install on your mobile phone and other Android or iOS devices. It collects information on how we use our coastlines. We know types of activities that occur on our coast, such as sea angling and surfing, but we don’t have much information on the number of people doing each activity. This information is important for the conservation and management of our coastline and is where we need YOUR help. When you are next by the coast, get out your phone and complete a quick 5 minute survey.
What happens to the information I submit?
The information that you submit will be anonymous and will be added to a national database. The data can be accessed by organisations who look after our coast, to inform decisions they make about our coastline’s management. CoastXplore's full terms and conditions are outlined below
Terms and Conditions
By using the CoastXplore app, you agree to these Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree, please do not use the mobile application.
Observational records and personal data
- When you use this app, you create and upload content - for instance, photos of the coast, descriptions of the area and coastal use demography data. By putting this information on the app, you are saying that:
(a) the content is yours, or you have the permission of the owner to agree to this usage, and
(b) you agree that the content can be used on this site, and
(c) you agree that your observations can be made publicly available for wider use.
- Observations collected through this app will be stored securely at Newcastle University.
- Users do not create an account for this app and therefore no contact details for individual users are retained.
- Installations of the app on a device are given an identification code. Two submissions from the same installation of the app on to a particular device will both have that same code. This code does not provide any information to CoastXplore about the user’s device or their identity: rather the identification code is used so that CoastXplore can identify which submissions have come from the same device.
- Time/date stamp data and location data will be recorded and retained. Location data is recorded via the phone’s geolocated position and/or manual selection by the user.
- By using and submitting data to the CoastXplore app you are confirming that you grant CoastXplore irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free license to use, distribute, reproduce, adapt, modify and publish your survey data in any existing or future media.
- CoastXplore reserves the right to edit or remove any material submitted to this app, or stored on CoastXplore’s server at Newcastle University.
- Having submitted a record to this app, please do not submit it to other organisations or online recording schemes. The data collected by the app will be made available to government agencies, conservation organisations and others with a legitimate interest in the data.
- You will be able to view a summary map at the end of a survey which will include summary statistics of surveys conducted by other users but you may not store them, republish them, exploit them for commercial or academic research purposes, or pass them on to any third party.
- The app may provide links and pointers to internet sites maintained by others ("third party sites"). CoastXplore has not reviewed all of the third party sites linked to the site and is not responsible for the content of or any products or services offered in such third party sites.
- CoastXplore may modify these terms and conditions at any time without notice to you. CoastXplore may terminate this agreement at any time, without notice to you, if it believes, in its sole judgement, that you have breached or may breach any term or condition of this agreement or it may terminate this agreement for its convenience. You may terminate this agreement at any time by destroying all materials received from the app and ceasing to use the app.
If you would like to contact us about the CoastXplore app please email firstname.lastname@example.org